Parents have been warned of the dangers of common household items used to warm children

Australians preparing for the colder months have been warned that some warming devices could be dangerous for children.

Electric blankets, heat packs and hot water bottles have been labeled by Tiny Hearts Education – a group specializing in educating parents about first aid emergencies – as potentially dangerous with children more susceptible to burns.

The group, led by former paramedic Nikki Jurcutz, urged parents to make sure they avoid overheating wheat packs or overfilling the water bottle.

He says to make sure the skin is watched closely to avoid trapping heat – which can also lead to fires.

“It is also not recommended to use wheat sacks in beds as the bedding can trap heat causing the heating pack to catch fire, which can also happen if it is overheated.” she said in a message.

“There is a risk of burns to sensitive skin when using heating pads, so they should not be used on toddlers.

Camera iconParents have been warned to avoid using boiling water and to keep electric blankets on overnight to keep children safe. Provided. Credit: istock

Users were advised to check expiration dates on hot water bottles and to avoid using boiling water in case the device leaks or tears.

The organization said to “move the hot water bottle every 20 minutes to avoid gradual burning in one area” and to “remove excess air before sealing”.

While some people say electric blankets shouldn’t be used on children, Tiny Hearts says the key to keeping children safe in bed is to turn the devices off before going to sleep.

Tiny Hearts also urged parents to ensure electric blankets are not damaged or rolled up under the covers.

Data shows more than 200 Australians are admitted to hospital with severe burns from water bottles.  Provided.
Camera iconData shows more than 200 Australians are admitted to hospital with severe burns from water bottles. Provided. Credit: Provided

The parent group highlighted alternative solutions for keeping children warm during the winter months, including onesies, sleeping bags and thick pajamas.

Dozens of parents praised the group for their warning and offered other alternatives, including merino socks and weighted blankets.

“After seeing my mom perfectly lit, I will never use one again. Just get a 3.5 tog and thick pajamas – kids are tough,” one user wrote.

“We used a bag of wheat to preheat the bed and then took it out when we put our son to bed. My husband knew a family whose house burned down because a sack of wheat caught fire,” warned a third.

According to Product Safety, around 200 Australians are admitted to hospital each year with severe burns from a hot water bottle.