A fire that caused extensive damage to an apartment above a Ravenna electronics store on Tuesday night is being investigated, Ravenna’s acting fire chief Mark Chapple said.
After:Days after a fire destroyed a 175-year-old barn, Brimfield Farm is struggling to recover
Chapple said there were no injuries.
He said the call came to answer Portage Electronics at 414 Cleveland Road around 5:45 p.m.
“The fire started on the second floor of the structure and it was, like, an apartment up there, I think a two-bedroom apartment,” he said. “So the second floor is pretty much damaged.”
Chapple added that the store below suffered smoke damage and was unsure if it had reopened.
After:Randolph Township Chimney Fire Recalls the Need for Proper Maintenance
Chapple said he did not know if anyone was occupying the apartment at the time of the fire, but no one was present in the building at the time of the fire.
“There was a cat that was found downstairs, but I think it was in the commercial part of the building,” Chapple said, adding that the cat was unharmed.
He said the Portage County Fire Investigation Unit is investigating the blaze. A cause has yet to be determined.
The Ravenna Township and Rootstown Fire Departments also responded. Firefighters remained on site for about 90 minutes.
Journalist Jeff Saunders can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.